Men charged over crime spree eight years ago

DNA samples have allegedly linked two men over the failed armed robbery of a Commonwealth Bank branch and a car jacking in Sydney’s south-west more than eight years ago.
Nanjing Night Net

Detective Inspector Mick Sheehy, from the Robbery and Serious Crime Squad, told Fairfax Media on Wednesday that police will allege in court two men, aged 33 and 37, contributed to a DNA sample found at the scene of the bank robbery in Regents Park in December 2004.

Both have been charged with attempted robbery while armed with a dangerous weapon.

“We do a lot of reviews of unsolved robberies, we look at exhibits and with the advancement of technology it has opened up a lot of opportunities,” he said. “A review was conducted and there was a breakthrough due to DNA.”

Inspector Sheehy said police are still pursuing a third man wanted for the failed robbery.

In December 2004, three men, one armed with a pistol and another with a sledge hammer, entered the Regents Park Commonwealth Bank and demanded cash.

As the men tried to access the counters, staff activated the security shutters and alarms. One of the men fired the pistol before trio fled the bank empty-handed.

They were seen fleeing the area in a vehicle that had been car jacked earlier in the day.

“There was obviously some planning but the security screens have become a problem for the men,” Inspector Sheehy said.

On Wednesday, detectives travelled to Nowra and charged the 37-year-old man with attempted robbery while armed with a dangerous weapon and robbery while armed with a dangerous weapon.

He remains in custody to appear at Nowra Local Court via video-link on Thursday.

A 33-year-old man was charged at Silverwater earlier this month with attempted armed robbery while armed with a dangerous weapon. He remains in custody to appear at Parramatta Local Court on Thursday July 4.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.